How do I ever stop eating sweets and flour? And lose weight at the same time? How can you stop eating sweets as a stress reliever? So let’s figure out what to do and where to start in order to stop snacking on unnecessary sweets. After all, usually all of this usually shows up on our bodies.
What Kind of Sugar Exists and Which is Better
We have all heard that sugar and salt are white death, and this saying can only be considered true if we consume them in large quantities. We need them in our bodies anyway, only in small doses and in the right foods (fruits, berries, vegetables, etc).
Sugar today is contained in many foods, so even without various sweets we already get it in sufficient quantities, it is usually used as a cheap food supplement. Sugar can be divided to natural and industrial(refined).
Why Sugar Is Bad
All sugar in excess in the body will do harm to your body. First of all, bacteria love and grow well when there is an overabundance of sweets in the body, it is a great environment for them to multiply. Another problem when we consume sugar in excess is that the sugar not needed by the cells remains circulating in the blood, keeping the blood insulin levels constantly high. If we eat a lot of sweets, our cells can stop responding to blood insulin, as if “getting used to” its high level. This contributes to the onset of type 2 diabetes.
The consequences of overeating sweets are:
- bad teeth, skin and hair
- immunity decline
- damaged blood vessels walls
- cardiovascular diseases in general
- diabetes mellitus
According to a 2013 British study, sugar is truly addictive. The more you eat, the more you want.
The World Health Organization recommends that countries reduce sugar consumption by adults and children to 10% of the total energy value of the diet. The WHO states that this will reduce the risk of overweight and tooth decay. Experts note that reducing sugar intake to 5% of daily calories will bring additional health benefits.
Why Do You Want Sweets?
The main reasons for sugar cravings are:
- The diet lacks complex carbohydrates, a person replenishes their supply by eating sweets
- The habit of overeating
- Active mental activity
- In women, the production of hormones decreases before the onset of menstruation. To quickly replenish their supply, the body requires sweet
- Regular stress
People like to have fun getting sugar, the part of the brain responsible for this is activated.
How to Stop Eating Sweets and Flour While Losing Weight
- 1. You need to tune in to the fact that you can and should eat sweets, the main thing is to revise your diet. For example, berries and fruits are also sweets that should be eaten in moderation.
- 2. Remove sweets from your diet gradually, you do not need to make restrictions right away. The first thing to do is to remove the sugar that you put in your tea. Then eat sweets less and less often. Determine the days in the week when it is possible to bite a tasty thing. And then these days should become less and less frequent. But if you are engaged in sports, you can leave yourself a day in the week when you will allow yourself to eat yummy things in small quantities.
- 3. Eliminate the habit of having tea or overeating at bedtime. Usually at these moments you are sure to eat sweets. Replace such tea drinking with fruit or berries. Consider Eat Sleep Burn program.
- 4. Eat fruits and berries in the first half of the day. Because the energy obtained must be spent during the day. At night it is recommended to have a good dinner, so that there is no excessive desire for a snack.
- 5. It is important to adjust your diet. Eat on time. Do not drive yourself to the feeling of hunger. It is at such moments when you are hungry that you want to recover quickly, and our body craves sweets.
- 6. Drink plain or mineral water instead of sugary carbonated drinks.
- 7. Take vitamin D. Often depression and bad moods are associated with a lack of sunlight, especially during the cold season. Get outdoors more often.
- 8. Slow carbohydrates should be present in the diet – these are different kinds of cereals. If the body does not get enough slow carbohydrates (these are different kinds of cereals), then the brain starts to raise the alarm and demand replenishment of the body with energy. Scientifically speaking, you should choose foods with a low glycemic index. They are slowly digested, stabilize blood glucose levels and maintain them throughout the day.
- 9. Think of an activity to distract from sweets. It can be chess and 20 squats. Recall your hobbies.
- 10. Take chromium-containing vitamins. Some studies have found that chromium picolinate can reduce carbohydrate cravings. If you decide to try it, consult your doctor just in case.
The first result will appear in the form of weight loss. In just one week you can lose up to 2 kg. And after a month, giving up sugar will have a beneficial effect on your health. You will notice that you are more vigorous, you sleep better, you don’t have heavy stomach, your hormonal background will become more stable, which means you won’t have mood swings. You will lose 3 to 4 kg of weight. This will become an incentive to continue your healthy habit.
No Sugar no Flour – How Linda Tried to Quit Sugar
There was a period in my life when having read all kinds of horror stories about sugar. I wanted to free myself at least partially from this addiction. And as an experiment, I did not eat sweets for a month. For about 150-200 years people did not know about sugar and lived happily and were healthier.
I decided not to eat sugar and glucose allowing myself only a little bit of natural honey. I also had to forget about candy, chocolate, cookies and even white bread because sugar was lurking there too. When I began to analyze the contents of the products I was surprised that there was sugar in so many products. And the simpler the dish (like oatmeal in water) the less risk of meeting it there.
In general in addition to the fact that you need to prepare mentally for natural “withdrawal”, you must also pre-compile a menu, what you can and can not eat. The point of my experience was that I did not limit myself in the amount of products, I tried to keep sugar to a minimum. I am not worried about salt, because in my husband’s opinion I eat almost anything that is not salty.
I didn’t get into fanaticism since natural sugars are found in fruits or in cereals. I decided to eat what people ate when sugar didn’t exist yet. These were vegetables, fruits (however, I also limited potatoes, bananas and grapes, but not excluded), cereals, dairy products, meat, wholemeal bread. No juices (they have a huge dose of sugar). I had to cook food for myself every day separately, because my family did not sign up for that.
The first few days were very hard for me. My head felt like it was filled with lead. Then I started to have more and more pain. I got irritable. A spoonful of honey, allowed to grow into three, but it did not solve the problem. For several days I struggled with a headache. For the first time I was not hungry at all, but this did not make me feel better.
Somehow I survived this whining of the body and started to live without sugar. And then I began to be exhausted by hormones. That is, my head does not hurt anymore, I do not want to eat at all, but I am a miserable person. I have no mood, apathy, and even a kind of decline in strength. Moreover everyone around infuriates me with their suggestions “yes, do not torture yourself, eat a piece. Consumption of honey and fruit has increased. It was not immediately, but slowly they began to bring me back to a normal state. And in fact it was necessary not to overeat.
The rest of the time I was stupidly struggling with the fact that I wanted sweets, because everyone else was eating, but I was not given them. It is already a psychological addiction. Restricting myself to anything provoked a feeling of sadness.
In short for a month I cracked even at night (and what to do, when no sugar pissed me off everything and everything), absolutely without starvation, I have lost 7 kg. I even did not strain myself with sport, because I had no time for it. I must say that at that time I weighed about 90 kg.
During the first month my addiction to sugar decreased considerably. To get off the sugar needle you need to try to live without it for three months. I have an acquaintance who does not eat sugar and other sweets for several years. She eats low glycemic index foods without measure and has no problems with her weight.
Then I started allowing myself all kinds of candies, chocolates and the like and gradually started eating it again as much :(. In short, it is very difficult to control myself and apparently this is a real substance which would make any illegal drugs black. But all the same I have got one good habit since then and it has been with me for 5 years now. I always drink tea and coffee without sugar.
Hidden Sugar in Foods
Control the sugar in your diet and you will avoid many health problems.
Menu For The Week
- breakfast – oatmeal with apricots;
- Lunch – fruit salad (apple, peach, blueberry) with yogurt;
- lunch – mushroom soup, steamed veal cutlet, buckwheat porridge, a slice of rye bread;
- afternoon snack – cottage cheese with bran, one pear;
- dinner – vegetable stew, baked perch;
- bedtime – sour milk.
- breakfast – scrambled eggs, vegetable salad;
- lunch – vegetable stew;
- Lunch – chicken broth, a piece of boiled chicken with mashed peas, a slice of rye bread;
- afternoon snack – fruit;
- supper – fish baked with vegetables;
- at night – ryazhenka.
- breakfast – pearl porridge, 1 egg;
- Lunch – cottage cheese, nuts;
- Lunch – borscht, lentils with tomato gravy, stewed liver, bread;
- afternoon snack – oatmeal kissel, 2 plums;
- supper – boiled turkey, salad with tomatoes and sweet peppers;
- bedtime – ryazhenka.
- breakfast – scrambled eggs with vegetables;
- Lunch – fruit salad with kefir;
- Lunch – fish soup, pasta, meatballs, vegetable salad;
- afternoon snack – cottage cheese with pieces of fruit;
- dinner – stewed cabbage with rice, boiled tongue;
- at night – milk.
- breakfast – oatmeal with dried fruit;
- Lunch – cottage cheese soufflé;
- Lunch – soup with beans, boiled veal with millet porridge, tomato fresh, bread;
- afternoon snack – fruit and vegetable smoothie;
- supper – eggplants with minced chicken;
- bedtime – kefir.
- breakfast – pearl porridge with mushrooms, tofu cheese;
- Lunch – fruit;
- Lunch – milk soup, fish stewed in tomato, vegetable salad, bread;
- afternoon snack – curd mass with dried fruits;
- dinner – vegetable stew with chicken giblets;
- At night – yogurt.
- breakfast – scrambled eggs with vegetables;
- Lunch – fruit and vegetable smoothie, a slice of rye bread;
- lunch – pearl soup, fish cutlets, lentil puree, vegetable platter;
- afternoon snack – fruit;
- Dinner – cabbage stew with rice, steamed chicken breast;
- Overnight – cottage cheese and yogurt.
Such a diet without sugar, but with enough carbohydrate foods can be followed for a long time. Repeating the weekly menu as many times as necessary to achieve the ultimate goal of weight loss.